ETH Zürich Humanernährung
Schmelzbergstrasse 7, LFV D21
8092 Zürich ETH-Zentrum Gesamtangebot
MAS in Nutrition and Health and CAS in Nutrition for Disease Prevention and Health. This courses offer an advanced education that gives a broad overview on aspects of food and nutrition, their influence on Health and their potential for prevention of diseases.
Iron, zinc and iodine deficiencies affect millions of people worldwide. The aim of our laboratory is to develop sustainable strategies to eliminate these deficiencies and their adverse health affects. We use stable isotope techniques to investigate the bioavailability of trace minerals and the influence of the food matrix on human absorption. We develop new biomarkers to define trace mineral status. We pioneered the approach of improving the bioavailability of mineral compounds by reducing their size to nanoscale.
Bio-fortification is a promising and sustainable strategy to increase intakes of trace minerals and we are investigating its efficacy in several countries. We are investigating the double burden of over- and undernutrition, which is becoming more prevalent in transition countries.
The main research focus of the Human Nutrition Laboratory are public health relevant trace elements and minerals (Iron, Iodine, Zinc, Calcium). We study metabolism and nutritional requirements in humans, using stable isotopic tracers and controlled nutritional interventions. We investigate novel approaches to improve their effective and safe delivery in vulnerable groups by engaging with both local and international partners.
- Food Science
- The study program Food Science belongs to the Department of Health Sciences and Technology since January 2012. An improved understanding of Food Science will lead the way to finding solutions to global food problems (food security, malnourishment, food-borne diseases).
- Health Sciences and Technology
- The study program Health Sciences and Technology offers basic knowledge of the human body, including the latest technological approaches.
- Human Movement Sciences and Sport
- In this program, aspects of human movement are examined from various scientific perspectives. The program "Human Movement Sciences and Sport" is part of the above mentioned program Health Sciences and Technology, since the fall semester 2011.